Adult and Community Learning ‘in the loop’
Issue 7 March 2014
Hello everyone and welcome to ‘in the loop’
Making sure that adult learning in Bristol continues to improve and grow.
Did you know that tomorrow is International Women’s Day (8th March).
- Did you know the first official IWD was in 1911? Campaigns included for women’s rights to work, vote, be trained, hold public office and end discrimination.
- Rallies were held across Europe in 1914 to campaign for peace and express women’s solidarity.
- IWD is a national holiday in many countries and in some has the equivalent status of Mother’s day with women honoured with flowers and small gifts.
- There are activities happening here in Bristol over the weekend including: a bike ride from Mud Dock and a ‘women of the past’ guided tour of Arnos Vale Cemetery.
Things we’ve done this week:
- We have met with one of the project officers working on the Stoke Lodge playground development and prepared a briefing paper for Neighbourhood Partnership members ahead of their meeting on Monday 10th March. (Full details of the plans can be found at www.bristolcourses.com) We are also hoping to attend a future meeting of the Partnership Environment group to share some ideas which could breathe new life into the overgrown walled garden.
- We are ‘full steam ahead’ with our programme planning for 2014/15 courses. In line with our business plan, we are aiming to produce a strong menu of courses that build on the existing programme, with some new courses that will delight both existing and new learners throughout the year. We are making sure we draw on ideas from learner surveys and forums, from tutor and staff feedback, and from our research into successful programmes in other authorities. Watch this space for our launch of the new course guide and website in June!
And finally we have an amazing Italian Study Weekend planned for 26th & 27th April.
The weekend will be a chance to immerse yourself in Italy’s rich cultural heritage with six workshops from a selection of around 30! Workshops include art and film history, Italian wine and food, Italian literature and music, ancient history and Italian philosophy as well as
Italian language opportunities for both complete beginners and advanced.
Each day will include an Italian lunch and refreshments. The whole weekend costs £170.
You will find more details on our website next week and you can register your interest by calling 903 8844 or by emailing email@example.com
In The Loop 7Mar14 (193.9 KiB)