Accessibility statement for www.bristolcourses.com
This accessibility statement applies to web content on the Bristol Adult Learning website.
This website is run by Bristol City Council Adult Learning. It’s designed to be used by as many people as possible. The text should be clear and simple to understand. You should be able to:
- change colours, and contrast levels and fonts.
- zoom in up to 300% without the text spilling off the screen.
- navigate most of the website using just a keyboard.
- navigate most of the website using speech recognition software.
- listen to most of the website using a screen reader (including the most recent versions of JAWS, NVDA and VoiceOver).
AbilityNet has advice on making your device easier to use, if you have a disability.
How accessible this website is
We know some parts of this website are not fully accessible:
- Two PDF documents are not fully accessible to screen reader software.
- Third party online booking site currently has several accessibility issues.
- Some older images may not have text alternative.
- Embedded video does not have captions.
- A hidden value and missing label.
Feedback and contact information
If you find any problems not listed on this page or think we’re not meeting accessibility requirements, contact:
Tel: 0117 9038844
If you need information on this website in a different format like accessible PDF, large print, easy read, audio recording or braille:
We’ll consider your request and aim to reply within 5 working days.
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the ‘accessibility regulations’). If you’re not happy with how we respond to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS).
Technical information about this website’s accessibility
Bristol Adult Learning is committed to making its website accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
The website has been tested against the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) [2.1 or 2.2] AA standard.
This website is partially compliant with the [Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 AA standard or Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.2 AA standard], due to the non-compliances listed below.
The content listed below is non-accessible for the following reasons.
Some images do not have a text alternative, so people using a screen reader cannot access the information. This fails WCAG 2.2 success criterion 1.1.1 (non-text content).
We plan to add text alternatives for all images by June 2023. When we publish new content, we’ll make sure our use of images meets accessibility standards.
Course guide and Venue hire PDF documents are not fully accessible and have several issues including:
- Colour Contrast between text and backgrounds WCAG 1.4.3 Contrast (Minimum)
- Page titles that describe the page topic WCAG 2.4.2 Page titled
- Tagging in tables that ensures information can be correctly linked WCAG 1.3.1 Info and Relationships
- Images without alternative text WCAG 1.1.1 Non-text content
All information provided in these PDF documents is also available in the main course listing and venue hire pages. All future guides will be produced as accessible pdf documents.
External linked site – Online payment, Web-Enrol payment portal.
The webenrol payment portal that is used for online course booking fails accessibility on several success criteria including:
- Some aspects including timetable not accessible through keyboard WCAG 2.1.1 Keyboard
- Access to keyboard focus WCAG 2.4.7 Focus Visible
- Colour contrast between text and buttons WCAG 1.4.3 Contrast (minimum)
- Clarity on Links within the site WCAG 1.4.1 Use of Color
This portal is linked to an online database managed through a third party and changes are implemented through a series of beta testing and release processes approx. 3 times a year. We’re in discussion with our third-party provider to agree a plan for regular testing and improved accessibility in future software releases. We anticipate some improvements in the release due in Spring 2024 with further improvements required in following releases.
Third Party Plugin, Content and Application
Embedded video does not have captions or script WCAG 1.2.2 caption.
Embedded newsletter sign up page linked to third party website has missing form label.
What we’re doing to improve accessibility
We are working to resolve all identified accessibility issues and are regularly monitoring the website to ensure we identify and resolve any future issues.
We will test the website to monitor compliance and identify any issues on a quarterly basis. This will be done both through manual and automated testing.
Preparation of this accessibility statement
This statement was prepared on 18 January 2024. It was last reviewed on 18 January 2024.
This website was last tested on 2 January 2024 against the WCAG [2.1 or 2.2] AA standard.
A full assessment was carried out by Xelium on behalf of Bristol Adult Learning and an audit of issues and log of actions taken to fix or remove issues has been completed during January 2024. Testing included:
- Run accessibility tests using Axe automated tool for full WCAG level AA compliance.
Check for visibility of keyboard focus and reflow that may be barriers to users with accessibility requirements.
- Tabbing through each page without a mouse
- Viewing the page at different zoom settings (up to 200%)
- Simulating viewing of the page on a mobile device
The tools used are as follows, these are all recommended by the Cabinet Office:
- Axe DevTools
- ARC Toolkit
- WAVE (Web Accessibility Evaluation Tool by WebAIM)
This statement was last updated on 18 January 2024