Textiles, Sewing & Upholstery
Sewing and textiles seems to be growing in popularity all the time.
We have several courses in sewing and dressmaking, making the most of your sewing machine (learning how to use all the functions!). So you can make something for your home, for a gift or maybe a unique item of clothing perfectly designed, just for you!
These courses are the chance to build skills, create something really special and unique and really enjoy using and creating with textiles
Some courses will run as online courses and some will start at Stoke Lodge or St Pauls. You can see the starting venue/format for each course listed below. We reserve the right to change the format of the course, in term, should safety advice change.
PLEASE NOTE: Online and telephone booking will
open at 9.30am on Thursday 27 August
NEW Getting to know your sewing machine
Don’t know where to start or want to get more out of your sewing machine? This is for you! Use the various stitches and accessories that come with your machine. You will also learn to select the correct needle and thread for fabric. Make your sewing machine work for you! Fee includes fabric for a mini project. Bring your own sewing machine.
- Thursdays 10am to 3pm Ann Huntley
- 1 session on 26 November £45 / £35 T52A : Stoke Lodge
Sewing for complete beginners
Starting from scratch, you will go from learning how to thread a sewing machine to making three sewing projects! By the end of the course you will have learnt how to make a cushion cover, a zipped toiletry bag and a pair of pyjama shortsbottoms. Material for cushion cover and zipped bag are included in the fee- tutor will advise you on material you need to purchase for the pyjama shorts.
- Thursday 6pm to 9pm Ann Huntley
- 6 sessions from 8 October £144/ £94 T53A : Stoke Lodge
NEW A rainbow of stitches
Do you love colour and textile art? We will explore colour with handstitched embroidery. Learn painted background techniques and a range of useful embroidery stitches. You will create several projects and a rainbow sampler with a pot of gold at the end! Fee includes core materials.
- Mondays 1pm to 4pm Debby Bird
- 10 sessions from 28 September £218/ £134 T54A : Stoke Lodge
NEW Free machine embroidery with glitz and gold!
Introduction to freemotion machine embroidery using gold foil shapes and glitzy recycled wrappings and fabrics. Create some fun samples that could be used for decorations or framed. Suitable for all abilities. You will need a special embroidery/darning foot for your machine. Fee includes some specialist materials.
- Saturday 10am to 4pm Debby Bird
- One day on 17 October £55 / £40 T59A : Stoke Lodge
Learning to sew and more!
You will learn basic sewing machine skills and techniques to help you make fashionable and stylish clothes and furnishings. You will also learn to read a pattern and discover some of the essential hand stitches needed to finish off your project. All abilities welcome.
- Fridays 10am to 12.30pm Marilyn Mitchelmore
- 6 sessions from 6 November £105 / £63 T49B : Stoke Lodge
Dressmaking and textiles
Learners will have the opportunity to produce a small range of garments through sewing practicals while also learning a variety of sewing techniques. Tutor demonstrations and handouts will also be included. This course is suitable for beginners and those with sewing skills they want to develop.
- Mondays 6.30pm to 9pm Lorraine Joseph
- 6 sessions from 2 November £108 / £66 T47B : Stoke Lodge
Bring a treasured heirloom back to life! You will learn traditional upholstery skills and methods using traditional materials. If your project requires it, you can also learn how to use a sewing machine. Due to limited storage, please bring smaller, lighter pieces.
- Mondays 9.30am to 12.30pm Nicola Hamilton
- 6 sessions from 2 November £145 / £87 T55B : Stoke Lodge
- Mondays 1pm to 3.30pm Nicola Hamilton
- 6 sessions from 2 November £121 / £72 T56B : Stoke Lodge
- Tuesdays 6.30pm to 9pm Nicola Hamilton
- 6 sessions from 3 November £121 / £72 T57B : Stoke Lodge
- Thursdays 6.30pm to 9pm Nicola Hamilton
- 6 sessions from 5 November £121 / £72 T58B : Stoke Lodge
Upholstery on Saturdays
These one day workshops can be used as a “taster” or as an opportunity to complete an unfinished project. If you intend to finish a project in a day, please bring fabric and braid (if appropriate). Please choose a small, manageable piece. No previous experience necessary.
- Saturday 10am to 4pm Nicola Hamilton
- One day on 17 October £55 / £35 T61A : Stoke Lodge