Bristol City Council is the data controller for the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998 and other regulations including the General Data Protection Regulation (Regulation (EU) 2016/679), which means it determines what your data is used for and why it is collected. The purpose of this privacy notice is to tell you about what information we collect about you when you use our service, how we use that information and who we may share it with.
Bristol Adult Learning, Stoke Lodge, Bristol BS9 1BN
0117 903 8844 email@example.com
What data is being collected?
We collect information when you start our courses. This information includes your address and some information about your personal circumstances (For example date of birth, address details and contact information)
Why do we collect this data?
- We use service level information so we can check our performance and ensure we are reaching different groups of people across Bristol.
- We use your contact details during our courses. For example we may need to contact you if your course is cancelled or your tutor may contact you about homework.
- Finally we may contact you to make you aware of new courses or opportunities we think may be of interest to you. You have to opt in to receive this information.
- Data processing is necessary to ensure service wide tasks are carried out in the public interest.
Will the data be shared with any third parties?
Where we have specific data sharing agreements we may share some information with other Council departments. This is to enable us to understand the needs of Bristol residents. No information will ever be shared for marketing purposes.
How will the information be used?
Bristol City Council use information for the following purposes:
- To contact learners and staff to inform them of changes to courses and venues.
- To monitor our overall success so we can make informed choices about changes to what we offer.
- Were it is agreed, we will contact people about new courses available in their area.
How long will my data be stored?
All data is held securely and destroyed 3 full academic years after the end of your course.
What rights do I have?
As protected by law you have the right to request a copy of any information we hold about you and in some circumstances to have your details corrected or removed from our systems.
You can do this by contacting:
Senior Data Protection Officer
Bristol City Council, ICT Commissioning and Information Governance
P O Box 3176 BRISTOL BS3 9FS Data.firstname.lastname@example.org
You also have a right of complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) at www.ico.org.uk if you think we have not dealt with your information in a proper manner.
Fraud Prevention and Detection:
Bristol City Council is required by law to protect the public funds it administers. It may share information provided to it with other bodies responsible for auditing, administering public funds, or where undertaking a public function, in order to prevent and detect fraud. For more information visit www.bristol.gov.uk/data-protection-foi/fraud-prevention-and-detection.