Coronavirus Update – Adult Learning
There is lots of attention on the news and in the media about the risks of coronavirus and the spread of the virus.
The Government Chief Medical officer has raised the risk to the public from low to moderate but the risk to individuals remains low.
Although the risk remains low we don’t want any staff or learners to take, or be put at, unnecessary risk and so want to remind you all of the current NHS advice.
Obviously if you think you meet the criteria for self-isolation you should contact 111 and not attend your class.
If you are unsure if you are affected please check the latest government advice at the link below
The NHS asks you to self-isolate and telephone 111 if you have been:
- to Hubei province in China in the last 14 days
- to Iran, areas of northern Italy in lockdown or “special care zone” areas in South Korea since 19 February
- to other parts of mainland China or South Korea, Thailand, Japan, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia or Macau in the last 14 days and have a cough, high temperature or shortness of breath
- to other parts of northern Italy (anywhere north of Pisa, Florence and Rimini), Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos or Myanmar since 19 February and have a cough, high temperature or shortness of breath
- in close contact with someone with confirmed coronavirus
Do not go to a GP surgery, pharmacy or hospital. Call 111, stay indoors and avoid close contact with other people.
Symptoms of coronavirus
The symptoms of coronavirus are:
- a cough
- a high temperature
- shortness of breath
But these symptoms do not necessarily mean you have the illness.
The symptoms are similar to other illnesses that are much more common, such as cold and flu.
How to avoid catching or spreading germs
There are things you can do to help stop viruses like coronavirus spreading:
- cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze
- put used tissues in the bin immediately
- wash your hands with soap and water often – use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available
- try to avoid close contact with people who are unwell