Can you believe it is October already? Autumn feels like it is really taking hold now and many of the trees are starting to show their autumn colours. It’s also definitely conker season. Stoke Lodge isn’t blessed with any horse chestnut trees but Bristol’s conker trees are shedding their fruit and sending those spikey green balls plummeting to the ground to reveal the gorgeous brown nut inside.
In case you hadn’t guessed I have a bit of a thing for conkers. I think every bit of them is delightful from the speckled spikey case to the milky white cushion that holds the precious shiny brown nut!
Courses available to join starting in October…
- Get ready for Halloween with our Pumpkin Needle Felting Workshop 9.30am to 2.30pm for one session only on 13 October with Elaine at Stoke Lodge. C66B.
- Find out more about how the UK Census can help your Family History Research in this one-off online lecture 6.30pm to 8.30pm with Rosemary on Tuesday 12 October. FHR3C.
- Get green fingers with Growing Fruit and Vegetables for one session 10am to 3pm on Saturday 16 October with Andy at Stoke Lodge. GJW2.
- Or maybe Cinema italiano e letteratura, Il Decameron, one session on Saturday 16 October, 10am to 3pm with Davide at Stoke Lodge. LC15.
and a few more starting in November…
- Experiment with Collage-Mixed Ability on Mondays 9.30am to 12noon from 1 November with Roma at Stoke Lodge. B58A.
- Delve into poetry with Writing From Art: Poetry Inspired By Works Of Art, starting on 2 November for 6 weeks on Tuesdays 7.30pm to 9pm with Samantha online. F41B.
- Work on your wellbeing with Self-Massage. Running for 5 weeks Tuesdays 2pm to 3pm with Nen at Stoke Lodge. H65A.
- Get ready for the festive season with Christmas Papercraft-Cards And More! Wednesdays 6.45pm to 9pm for 4 weeks from 3 November with Roma at Stoke Lodge. B55A .
- Improve your figure drawing with Drawing Figures with Mixed Media-Intermediates Fridays 9.45am to 12.15pm starting on 5 November with Bill at Stoke Lodge. B26B.
Black History Month
October is Black History Month and in an annual commemoration of the history, achievements, and contributions of Black people in the UK. This year’s theme is Proud To Be…
A few of our tutors are offering one-off lectures this month on the theme of BHM that sound really fascinating.
- We have a one-off online lecture on The Slave-Ship Hannibal and all who sailed on Her (1693-1695), 2pm to 4pm on Wednesday 13 October with Rosemary online. SHR5.
- Find out more about The Case for Reparations: A Short Course for Black History Month over 2 sessions on Wednesday 13 & 20 October 7pm to 9pm with Russell online. HRW3.
- And explore with philosophy tutor Leo the beliefs of Prof. Kwame Anthony Appiah- The concept of Multiple and ever shifting Identities a one-off session Friday, 29 October 7pm to 9pm. LPHL.
Green Fingered Success
We want to send our congratulations to our wonderful gardening tutor Jon Weatley. Jon has been teaching for Bristol Adult Learning for many years and is a real expert when it comes to all things plants and planting.
Jon is no stranger awards and accolades and is a regular feature at the Chelsea Flower Show, but we were absolutely delighted to hear that this year he won the ‘Plant of the Year 2021’ award at the Chelsea. Another beautiful vase for the collection Jon – well done from us all at Adult Learning.
Learning at Stoke Lodge
It has been brilliant to have so many classes back and I thank you all for the care you have taken to make sure returning to in person courses has been so enjoyable.
Thank you for wearing your masks around the building and for giving people room as you move about the centre.
Over the next few weeks as the weather becomes more changeable can I remind you it might be useful to bring an extra layer to class. We have heaters available to top up if its cold but as we are trying to keep the rooms well ventilated, we will still be opening the windows in between classes.
Once again thank you all for your ongoing support of Adult Learning and all your kind words.
Stay safe and take care